Exceptional Care for Exotic Pets
Birds and reptiles are beautiful animals and can make ideal pets. At East River Veterinary Hospital, we’re in the business of caring for all types of animals, including ones that may not be seen by traditional practices.
Before Getting Your Pet
Acquiring a bird or reptile as a pet requires much thought and planning. Asking yourself the following questions is a good place to start:
- Are there any laws or regulations regarding the exotic pet you wish to own?
- How will other members of your family handle this new pet (kids, seniors, others)?
- How much time can you dedicate to properly care for your exotic pet?
- Who will watch your pet if you’re gone for an extended period of time?
- How much are you willing to spend on veterinary expenses and proper care?
- How big will your exotic pet become as an adult?
- What are the health risks associated with bringing this type of exotic pet into your home?
Please contact us to discuss these and other considerations before making a final decision.
Schedule an Appointment
After welcoming a new bird or reptile into your home, be sure to schedule a wellness visit with us. As you can imagine, the needs of an exotic pet are quite different than those of a cat, dog, or small mammal pet. Routine appointments allow us to check in regularly to discuss nutrition, behavior, grooming, cage cleaning, and other topics related to proper husbandry. Wellness visits also aid in early detection, so we can catch problems and prevent them from becoming major issues. Remember, it’s difficult to determine when birds and reptiles are sick, so regular exams are crucial to keeping your pet healthy and extending his or her life.
On the Web
American Animal Hospital Association:
American Veterinary Medical Association: