Insect bites are such frustrating pains that sometimes ends up leaving their mark on you if care is not taken which leaves you with a burning question “do insects just wake up anytime and decide to be violent?” weird right? But do they?
Because I cannot begin to imagine how insect bites have ruined peoples’ days around the world. A very sad happening that we have little or no control over.
Venomous and non-venomous insects
Insect to look out for that bites can either be venomous or non-venomous. Venomous insect involves wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, all bees and fire ants. While non-venomous insects are; chiggers, ticks, bed bugs, mosquitoes, lice, scabies and fleas.
These insects are not similar in every aspects. While venomous insect stings and cause local reactions like pain, swelling and allergic reactions; non venomous insect bites and cause diseases like malaria and Lyme. Both category cause itching, depending on the individuals system.
In case of an insect bite or sting, it is advisable to not hit the insects on your skin in an attempt to kill it. Rather, blow it away with your mouth or use a blunt object to gently push it away. But never hit an insect against your skin. More details!
What can I do to protect myself from being bitten or stung?
- First form of prevention is knowing the right thing when bitten or you find an insect on your skin. Do not panic in cases where stinging insects are involved. Move away from the insects quietly. Do not swat them or run away as they may feel threatened and still try to sting you.
- Do not wear brightly colored clothes, use scented soaps, perfumes or cologne and hair sprays; as these things can attract insects. Avoid these things especially when going hiking in bushy areas or mount climb.
- When going outdoors (hiking, mount climbing), avoid wearing loose fitted clothes as they tend to trap insects to themselves.
- It is also advisable to iron clothes before wearing them. Especially when they were spread outside to sun dry them.
- Avoid keeping dirty dishes and water as they are breeding zones for insects. If you are going to keep dirty dishes, make sure you rinse them of all left over food and stack them properly on the sink. Also, any stale dirty water should be disposed of immediately. Close all dirty bins properly, so that you don’t give these insects any breeding space.
- Use insect repellants in places that are insect infested. Do not apply too much. Follow instructions on the packaging and adhere strictly to it. If you notice any side reaction to the cream, see a doctor and never use it again. My personal advice is staying away from places that likely to breed insects like still ponds.
- Insect bite creams and corticosteroid tablets are advisable to use, especially when the damage has been done. The cream is topically applied to reduce itching, while the tablets should be taken after prescriptions by a doctor.
We have experienced painful insect bite at one point or the other in our life. The aforementioned tips to prevent it will go a long way to prevent being bitten. Insect bite cream should be used in case you notice any inflammation. For more information, visit: https://www.eastrivervet.com/does-paracetamol-in-pregnancy-cause-child-behavioral-problems/